1 Nephi 7:15 - 7:19
1 Nephi 7:15 Now behold, I say unto you that if ye will return unto Jerusalem ye shall also perish with them. And now, if ye have choice, go up to the land, and remember the words which I speak unto you, that if ye go ye will also perish; for thus the Spirit of the Lord constraineth me that I should speak.
Nephi warns them that if they return to Jerusalem they will die along with the population. They have a choice as to whether they will live or die. The Lord is prompting Nephi’s words to the dissenters in the group. He could not keep from warning them of their fate if they returned to Jerusalem. I'm sure that there was Nephi's personal concern for the safety of his brothers and the all the people in his group.
1 Nephi 7:16 And it came to pass that when I, Nephi, had spoken these words unto my brethren, they were angry with me. And it came to pass that they did lay their hands upon me, for behold, they were exceedingly wroth, and they did bind me with cords, for they sought to take away my life, that they might leave me in the wilderness to be devoured by wild beasts.
The rebels were angry with Nephi because of what he was telling them. I wonder if Nephi was not calling them evil or such things which will enrage most any wicked person.
They tied up Nephi and were going to leave him in the desert to fall pray to wild animals while they would return to their homes in Jerusalem. I can only wonder at the chaos that must have been in this scene of wills conflicting with each other.
1 Nephi 7:17 But it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord, saying: O Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my brethren; yea, even give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound.
Nephi prays to the Lord for deliverance before the dissenters get out of viewing distance. His bands were loosed and he again called to them to stop their return to certain death.
1 Nephi 7:18 And it came to pass that when I had said these words, behold, the bands were loosed from off my hands and feet, and I stood before my brethren, and I spake unto them again.
The loosing of the bands was as a result of his faith that the Lord could do such a thing. It is interesting that the appeal was not because it was right thing to do, but according to his faith. Nephi already knew it was the right thing to do, he needed to have faith that the immediate need of loosing the ropes was possible. So the Lord steps in whether by an angel or other means loosed, not cut, the ropes and they fell to the ground.
1 Nephi 7:19 And it came to pass that they were angry with me again, and sought to lay hands upon me; but behold, one of the daughters of Ishmael, yea, and also her mother, and one of the sons of Ishmael, did plead with my brethren, insomuch that they did soften their hearts; and they did cease striving to take away my life.
In spite of this little miracle, they once again try to grab Nephi to tie him up again, but the chaos is to much for some of the members of Ishmael family. The mother, a daughter and a son now protest their actions toward Nephi. Their pleadings to the dissenters got to them and they stopped trying to kill Nephi. Wonder what was the attitude of Ishmael? He may have been ill and not able to be of much help. He dies on the journey as will be recorded in Nephi’s book.
The human element, I think is important to always keep in mind. Not everyone in either family is convinced that Jerusalem is in trouble. Laman and Lemuel certainly don’t and it appears that a good part of Ishmael's family don’t either. I can sympathize with them. I wonder how I would feel if I were told that my town was to be destroyed when I sincerely thought it could not happen.
Nephi himself only came to that conviction only after receiving a manifestation of his own. The older boys had not tried for their own witness and didn’t really want one either. It must have been a bitter situation that now existed between the dissenters and those loyal to Nephi and Lehi. Pride must have played a huge roll in this contention.
No comments:
Post a Comment