Wednesday, January 8, 2014

1 Nephi 9:1 - 9:5

1 Nephi 9:1 And all these things did my father see, and hear, and speak, as he dwelt in a tent, in the valley of Lemuel, and also a great many more things, which cannot be written upon these plates.

This dream of Lehi happened while he was in the desert, living in a tent with his family. The dream was far more extensive, but Nephi will not included additional details in this book. I guess they were not that critical for us to know or they are crouched in other writings in the whole Book of Mormon.

1 Nephi 9:2 And now, as I have spoken concerning these plates, behold they are not the plates upon which I make a full account of the history of my people; for the plates upon which I make a full account of my people I have given the name of Nephi; wherefore, they are called the plates of Nephi, after mine own name; and these plates also are called the plates of Nephi.

The plates that Nephi is recording on do not give a complete history of his people. The detailed secular history is on another set of plates which Nephi labels as the Plates of Nephi. However, the plates we are reading from are also called the Plates of Nephi. He must have had some way to refer to them when talking about them.

1 Nephi 9:3 Nevertheless, I have received a commandment of the Lord that I should make these plates, for the special purpose that there should be an account engraven of the ministry of my people.

The plates we are reading from have been created by commandment of the Lord for a special purpose. Nephi is commanded to only included spiritual matters which will included faith building stories, conference talks, manifestations of the Spirit and testimonies.

1 Nephi 9:4 Upon the other plates should be engraven an account of the reign of the kings, and the wars and contentions of my people; wherefore these plates are for the more part of the ministry; and the other plates are for the more part of the reign of the kings and the wars and contentions of my people.

The other plates will contain more of a secular history. This will included accounts of their wars, civil contentions, wickedness of the people, stuff we would see on the evening news. These plates will have spiritual events recorded along with the miracles and other various spiritual happenings.

1 Nephi 9:5 Wherefore, the Lord hath commanded me to make these plates for a wise purpose in him, which purpose I know not.

Why Nephi is commanded to make the plates he is now recording on, he does not know. I guess the Lord would not tell him, if he had asked. But Nephi knows the Lord knows what he is doing and it is for him to obey and he will find out in the future sometime maybe after he returns to our Father in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment