1 Nephi 16:17- 16:21
1 Nephi 16:17 And after we had traveled for the space of many days, we did pitch our tents for the space of a time, that we might again rest ourselves and obtain food for our families.
After traveling like this for quite a while they decide it is time to camp for a time. They are probably in need of rest as some of the woman I’m sure are pregnant by this time. They also probably need to let the pack animals which I assume are camels to graze for a while to fatten up to continue the journey. They also in need of food and want to stock up for want maybe part of the trip where games is not so plentiful.
1 Nephi 16:18 And it came to pass that as I, Nephi, went forth to slay food, behold, I did break my bow, which was made of fine steel; and after I did break my bow, behold, my brethren were angry with me because of the loss of my bow, for we did obtain no food.
A crises now occurred in the camp. Nephi breaks his steel bow while hunting and the boys can not kill any game. I’m not sure why the steel bow is necessary for the killing of game unless it power of it allows them to kill at a greater distance then they could with say a wooden bow. And if the game can see them at greater distances they can run away and it might require a bow with more power to reach them. Anyway, Nephi brakes the bow and the others are not happy. They can’t kill any game and people are getting hungry. And I’m sure with the little enthusiasm that some people have for this journey, they can erupt into angry with ease.
1 Nephi 16:19 And it came to pass that we did return without food to our families, and being much fatigued, because of their journeying, they did suffer much for the want of food.
After returning with no meat, there is great discontent in the group. They are out of food, there are pregnant women and people are tired. All the items necessary for murmuring.
1 Nephi 16:20 And it came to pass that Laman and Lemuel and the sons of Ishmael did begin to murmur exceedingly, because of their sufferings and afflictions in the wilderness; and also my father began to murmur against the Lord his God; yea, and they were all exceedingly sorrowful, even that they did murmur against the Lord.
The discontent is effecting nearly everyone. Even Lehi is distraught. Probably because Sarah is also pregnant and is suffering because of the trip. Most if not all are concerned for their survival in these hearse conditions. I’m sure when they compare their live of ease back in Jerusalem, they are longing to be back there. Anyway they seem to all, except Nephi and maybe a few others to blame the Lord for letting them down and for not providing food for them.
1 Nephi 16:21 Now it came to pass that I, Nephi, having been afflicted with my brethren because of the loss of my bow, and their bows having lost their springs, it began to be exceedingly difficult, yea, insomuch that we could obtain no food.
Now Nephi confesses that he is just as hard hit as are the others. That not being able to get food was just as frustrating to him because he had family to care for too.
No comments:
Post a Comment