2 Nephi 9:46 - 9:50
46 Prepare your souls for that glorious day when justice shall be administered unto the righteous, even the day of judgment, that ye may not shrink with awful fear; that ye may not remember your awful guilt in perfectness, and be constrained to exclaim: Holy, holy are thy judgments, O Lord God Almighty—but I know my guilt; I transgressed thy law, and my transgressions are mine; and the devil hath obtained me, that I am a prey to his awful misery.
Judgment day will be a time when the righteous will receive the opportunity to continue on being righteous forever. On that day they will see, first hand, that they tried to do what is right and they will able to continue doing so. However, the wicked will see what they truly sought for in their lives and will have to agree with God that what they sought for was wickedness and that they don’t deserve a righteous reward. They will have to say that they got what they deserved. The devil was their true God and now they can go with those who likewise thought he was such.
47 But behold, my brethren, is it expedient that I should awake you to an awful reality of these things? Would I harrow up your souls if your minds were pure? Would I be plain unto you according to the plainness of the truth if ye were freed from sin?
The people are probably asking why Jacob is bring up this unpleasant subject, that is judgment day for the wicked, because they want to hear things that will make them feel good about themselves. They don’t want their sins pointed out to them. So why is Jacob pointing out these things to them?
48 Behold, if ye were holy I would speak unto you of holiness; but as ye are not holy, and ye look upon me as a teacher, it must needs be expedient that I teach you the consequences of sin.
Jacob says in response that if they were a righteous people, he would speak happy things to them. But they are not and it is calling to point out that they are going down hill to destruction of their souls.
49 Behold, my soul abhorreth sin, and my heart delighteth in righteousness; and I will praise the holy name of my God.
Jacob hates sins and hates seeing others commit sin. He joys only in righteousness and thanks God that He has given him the knowledge of the right way to live.
50 Come, my brethren, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters; and he that hath no money, come buy and eat; yea, come buy wine and milk without money and without price.
Righteousness does not cost anything. The way does not require money to purchase any kind of special lesson material or buy a course of study. The happiness that comes from righteous living can be lived without any financial requirements. (If it costs money such as motivational courses or books, it will not bring lasting happiness and are only temporary in effect. In fact, if it cost money, it is of no value.)
No comments:
Post a Comment