Saturday, November 1, 2014

Words of Mormon 1:6 - 1:10

Words of Mormon 1:6 But behold, I shall take these plates, which contain these prophesyings and revelations, and put them with the remainder of my record, for they are choice unto me; and I know they will be choice unto my brethren.

So Mormon will put these plates of Nephi with his own abridgement. The prophecies and revelations received by the prophets in the plates of Nephi are very choice to Mormon and he knows they will be to Mormon’s descendents someday.

Words of Mormon 1:7 And I do this for a wise purpose; for thus it whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me. And now, I do not know all things; but the Lord knoweth all things which are to come; wherefore, he worketh in me to do according to his will.

Mormon does not know why he is putting these newly discovered writings with his own abridgement, but he knows that is what he is to do. He does not know what the future holds for these records. He only knows that the spirit has told him to do so.
[Wonder why the Lord could not tell him about the pages that would be lost in the future? Would that make a difference on how Mormon treated them? I guess one just doesn’t need to know about the ramifications of what they are commanded to do. Blind obedience is a teacher too.]

Words of Mormon 1:8 And my prayer to God is concerning my brethren, that they may once again come to the knowledge of God, yea, the redemption of Christ; that they may once again be a delightsome people.

Mormon does hope that when the Lamanites at some time in the future gain possession of his record and gain a testimony of the gospel that they will become a great people again instead of a savage and blood thirsty people.

Words of Mormon 1:9 And now I, Mormon, proceed to finish out my record, which I take from the plates of Nephi; and I make it according to the knowledge and the understanding which God has given me.

Anyway Mormon resumes his abridging efforts with the plates of Nephi using all the intelligence and talents the Lord has given him.

Words of Mormon 1:10 Wherefore, it came to pass that after Amaleki had delivered up these plates into the hands of king Benjamin, he took them and put them with the other plates, which contained records which had been handed down by the kings, from generation to generation until the days of king Benjamin.

Amaleki gave the plates he had to king Benjamin. King Benjamin then put them with the secular history of the Nephites which had been kept by scribes of the kings.
[Apparently the religious record had been kept by a group or person separate from those keeping the regular history of the Nephites. Wonder if they knew about each other and if there had been any collaboration between them?]

No comments:

Post a Comment