Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Alma 29:6 - 29:10

Alma 29:6 Now, seeing that I know these things, why should I desire more than to perform the work to which I have been called?

Alma confesses that he does know what he is saying is true, so why is he asking to do more than what the Lord wants him to?

I think we sometimes want to do more, but it might be a waste of time considering the circumstances of the situation. The Lord can see such things. We are put where we can maximize the situation because of our gifts and talents, but doing more might be tip the balance and make things worse. The Lord can see such things whereas, we have very limited vision. So be content with what we can do and do the best we can in what we are asked to do.

Alma 29:7 Why should I desire that I were an angel, that I could speak unto all the ends of the earth?

So Alma asks why should we want to do more? He is very effective in the area he is working that is among the Nephites and Lamanites. He would not be of much use for the rest of the world so he should be content.

Beside the Lord has good people out in other parts of the world, working for Him and they need to be using their talents and gifts to maximize their potentials too.

Alma 29:8 For behold, the Lord doth grant unto all nations, of their own nation and tongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he seeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true.

It may not be evident to the casual observer, but the Lord is working His magic all over the world. He is doing what needs to be done even if it appears He is doing nothing and we think He has given up on us. He is doing just what is needed and the outcome will be just as He has planned. In the end we will all see that the plan was perfect and it all worked out to the best for each of us individually.

Alma 29:9 I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.

Alma knows that whatever he has been commanded to do will be for the best and he glories in the Lord for knowing just what to do when it is the most effective. Alma is just happy he can play some small roll in the game of life.

Alma 29:10 And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me.

This is because he has witnessed how people have come to their senses and began the repentance process. He is happy to see this happen because of his going forth to do his duty. He is overjoyed when he thinks that the Lord seems to be hearing his prayers and seeing things happen which he knows required the Lord to be working behind the scenes. Alma is happy as well to see that the Lord has been merciful to him personally. After all he was in bad shape when the angel came to visit him and the son of Mosiah.

No comments:

Post a Comment