Saturday, October 3, 2015

Alma 26:1 - 26:5

Alma 26:1 And now, these are the words of Ammon to his brethren, which say thus: My brothers and my brethren, behold I say unto you, how great reason have we to rejoice; for could we have supposed when we started from the land of Zarahemla that God would have granted unto us such great blessings?

When the sons of Mosiah were gathered together, probably just before they were going to return to Zarahemla, Ammon was reflecting on how successful they had become in bringing the gospel to the Lamanites and how they should rejoice over their success. None of them could even image that they would see so many converted when they had left their homes in Zarahemla.

Alma 26:2 And now, I ask, what great blessings has he bestowed upon us? Can ye tell?

And Ammon is almost beside myself with personal joy in thinking that they are receiving the blessing as this opportunity has presented to them individually.

We must remember what kind of individuals they were before the angel appeared to them. And, in spite of that, they were given the opportunity to bring the gospel to the Lamanites and to have the success they had was remarkable and at least Ammon recognized it.

Alma 26:3 Behold, I answer for you; for our brethren, the Lamanites, were in darkness, yea, even in the darkest abyss, but behold, how many of them are brought to behold the marvelous light of God! And this is the blessing which hath been bestowed upon us, that we have been made instruments in the hands of God to bring about this great work.

Ammon reminded his brothers and companions of the condition of the Lamanites before they came to the land of Nephi. The Lamanites were an extremely corrupt and in many ways a despicable people. But look what has happened to them. Many have been brought to the light of the gospel and they, the sons of Mosiah were given the blessing of being to bring the gospel to them. They just have to be excited about that. This is not really business as usual for these brethren. They have enjoyed tremendous success and it is the Lord who has given them this great blessing.

I can get a feel for Ammon’s words. I reflect from time to time, that I who had never heard of Mormons when I turned 19 would in a couple of years, be given the same blessing as these brethren. That I would be allow the opportunity to go to England and bring the gospel to the English people and have some success in the effort. I think that it was granted to me in spite of my weaknesses and shortcomings. I to rejoice that the Lord gave me the opportunity and that I was an instrument in his hands.

Alma 26:4 Behold, thousands of them do rejoice, and have been brought into the fold of God.

Ammon reflects that many thousands have been converted and become faithful members of God’s kingdom.

Alma 26:5 Behold, the field was ripe, and blessed are ye, for ye did thrust in the sickle, and did reap with your might, yea, all the day long did ye labor; and behold the number of your sheaves! And they shall be gathered into the garners, that they are not wasted.

Ammon utters his own psalm by saying they have experience the harvest that come when the field is ripe and ready to harvest and have used all their strength to bring in the wheat.

Verses 5 – 8 are what I would call Ammon’s psalm.

No comments:

Post a Comment