Monday, October 5, 2015

Alma 26:11 - 26:15

Alma 26:11 But Ammon said unto him: I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.

Ammon calms Aaron’s concern. He is not bragging about his own abilities, but the Lord’s ability to use people to further His purposes.

It is almost like a fan bragging about how great his team is. I am glad I am on the Lord’s side. The other side does not have a chance.

Alma 26:12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.

Ammon assures everyone that he knows he is nothing. It is only because the Lord has backed him up in his labors with the Lamanites that there has been any success among them. It is because of the Lord working through him that the work of conversion has made any headway at all. And Ammon will give all the thanks to God for making this all happen.

It is interesting that the readiness of the Lamanites to be converted coincided with the desire that the four sons of Mosiah to bring the gospel to them. This might seem to be a coincidence but I do not think so. I think God knows us all so well that He can coordinate events and people to bring about the outcome He wants. This to me shows the greatness of our God. To make this all happen and not force anyone, but to put us into situations in which He knows how we will react and which will bring about the greatest good is cause for me to give praise to our Father in Heaven as well. When I really focus on this aspect of the gospel, I too, feel like boast about our God.

Alma 26:13 Behold, how many thousands of our brethren has he loosed from the pains of hell; and they are brought to sing redeeming love, and this because of the power of his word which is in us, therefore have we not great reason to rejoice?

Ammon wants his brothers and fellow laborers to think about what they have accomplished. They have brought the gospel to a depraved people and raised them up to the point of qualifying for exaltation. What a great feat. Therefore should not the boys feel like praising God forever.

Alma 26:14 Yea, we have reason to praise him forever, for he is the Most High God, and has loosed our brethren from the chains of hell.

Ammon therefore says they have great reason to praise God forever especially when He has provided the way for them to rid themselves of the chains of hell.

Alma 26:15 Yea, they were encircled about with everlasting darkness and destruction; but behold, he has brought them into his everlasting light, yea, into everlasting salvation; and they are encircled about with the matchless bounty of his love; yea, and we have been instruments in his hands of doing this great and marvelous work.

Again the Lamanites were living in the darkness of sin and depravity, but now they were living in the light of the gospel and enjoying the love that only comes to those who are living up to gospel principles. And again the boys have been the instrument in causing this to happen.

I’m sure that Ammon just can’t help himself when he reflects on this. He was the instrument to cause this to happen. One can only be thankful that the Lord look upon him in his weakness and cause all this to happen in spite of his weaknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment