Sunday, November 1, 2015

Alma 30:51 - 30:55

Alma 30:51 And now when the chief judge saw this, he put forth his hand and wrote unto Korihor, saying: Art thou convinced of the power of God? In whom did ye desire that Alma should show forth his sign? Would ye that he should afflict others, to show unto thee a sign? Behold, he has showed unto you a sign; and now will ye dispute more?

Alma writes to Korihor. Does he now believe in the power of God? Did Korihor wish that Alma would strike someone else with dumbness? Well Alma exhibited the sign on Korihor himself. Is he now convinced?

I guess Korihor was struck both deaf and unable to speak. The only way anyone could communicate with him was with writing, apparently.

Alma 30:52 And Korihor put forth his hand and wrote, saying: I know that I am dumb, for I cannot speak; and I know that nothing save it were the power of God could bring this upon me; yea, and I always knew that there was a God

Korihor writes in reply. He knows that it is the power of God that has made him unable to speak. And he confesses, he always knew there was a God.

Alma 30:53 53 But behold, the devil hath deceived me; for he appeared unto me in the form of an angel, and said unto me: Go and reclaim this people, for they have all gone astray after an unknown God. And he said unto me: There is no God; yea, and he taught me that which I should say. And I have taught his words; and I taught them because they were pleasing unto the carnal mind; and I taught them, even until I had much success, insomuch that I verily believed that they were true; and for this cause I withstood the truth, even until I have brought this great curse upon me

What started Korihor on his crusade was a vision by an angel who was actually satan. He commanded Korihor to go among the people and preach the things which Korihor had been preaching. They were things that the people who were selfish and only interested in their own advancement in society would like to hear. The effect on Korihor was that he started to believe this stuff himself and was able to put off the spirit of God which was trying to tell him that what he was preaching was false. However he now sees the light and how he was deceived himself.

Alma 30:54 Now when he had said this, he besought that Alma should pray unto God, that the curse might be taken from him.

Korihor now asks Alma to reverse the curse so he could receive his power to speak again.

Alma 30:55 But Alma said unto him: If this curse should be taken from thee thou wouldst again lead away the hearts of this people; therefore, it shall be unto thee even as the Lord will.

Alma refuses. He says that Korihor will only continue his crusade and try to deceive the people some more. The Lord can decide if or when He wants to lift the curse.

This is interesting. Being cursed like this did not change the kind of person Korihor really was. It shows that we can still be evil in spite of seeing God at work or being directly affected by Him. Satan after all was high up in the heavenly leadership and look what he did in spite of it. The change has to be internal not by events from outside of our spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment