Friday, November 13, 2015

Alma 32:16 - 32:20

Alma 32:16 Therefore, blessed are they who humble themselves without being compelled to be humble; or rather, in other words, blessed is he that believeth in the word of God, and is baptized without stubbornness of heart, yea, without being brought to know the word, or even compelled to know, before they will believe.

It is a good thing that a person will humble themselves and be baptized without compulsion. And this may be in spite of not knowing in detail about the atonement or even have an extensive knowledge of the gospel.

This is certainly my case. I really knew very little of the gospel when I was baptized. I had the missionary discussions but had not read the Book of Mormon and certainly did not have any insight as to what I was really getting myself into. I certainly never thought of myself being readied to be a missionary myself. Anyway this description of a person consenting to be baptized pretty much describes myself.

Alma 32:17 Yea, there are many who do say: If thou wilt show unto us a sign from heaven, then we shall know of a surety; then we shall believe.

This can be contrasted with those who want some sort of sign from heaven before they will consent to baptism.

Alma 32:18 Now I ask, is this faith? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for if a man knoweth a thing he hath no cause to believe, for he knoweth it.

Alma asks does anyone think that having a sign is faith? No, certainly not. If a person knows something is fact this is not faith.

Alma 32:19 And now, how much more cursed is he that knoweth the will of God and doeth it not, than he that only believeth, or only hath cause to believe, and falleth into transgression?

So anyone possessing knowledge and decides not live according is far worse off than a person who only believes and does not do what he is asked.

I think this is a great explanation of why faith is more powerful than certain knowledge. Having knowledge does not necessary motivate a person to seek more. Faith that more is available will drive a person to seek more. People with knowledge seem to be content with what they have. The faithful know they don’t know all there is to know and are generally more open to either to be receptive to more or are making an effort to seek for more. Faith is far more motivating than certain knowledge.

Alma 32:20 Now of this thing ye must judge. Behold, I say unto you, that it is on the one hand even as it is on the other; and it shall be unto every man according to his work.

This is the way it is with mortals. Either they are looking for signs before they move or they are humble enough to take steps forward even if they do not know for certain that something is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment