Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Alma 38:1 - 38:5

Alma 38: 1 My son, give ear to my words, for I say unto you, even as I said unto Helaman, that inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land; and inasmuch as ye will not keep the commandments of God ye shall be cut off from his presence.

Alma now addresses his son Shiblon telling him as he told Helaman that if he will keep the commandments he too will prosper. But if he does not he will be cut off from the presence of God.

Alma 38: 2 And now, my son, I trust that I shall have great joy in you, because of your steadiness and your faithfulness unto God; for as you have commenced in your youth to look to the Lord your God, even so I hope that you will continue in keeping his commandments; for blessed is he that endureth to the end.

Alma feels good about his son Shiblon. His faithfulness in carrying out his mission among the Zoramites impressed his father. Alma has noted this righteous desire in his son and hopes it will continue through to the end of his life. After all, faithfulness to the end of life is the fifth requirement after faith, repentance, baptism and the Holy Ghost.

Alma 38: 3 I say unto you, my son, that I have had great joy in thee already, because of thy faithfulness and thy diligence, and thy patience and thy long-suffering among the people of the Zoramites.

Again Alma is greatly impressed with his efforts among the Zoramites.

Alma 38: 4 For I know that thou wast in bonds; yea, and I also know that thou wast stoned for the word’s sake; and thou didst bear all these things with patience because the Lord was with thee; and now thou knowest that the Lord did deliver thee.

Alma is very aware of Shiblon’s trials among the Zoramites, that he was imprisoned, stoned at one point but that he bore up his trials and looked to the Lord to deliver him and that the Lord DID deliver him.

Alma 38: 5 And now my son, Shiblon, I would that ye should remember, that as much as ye shall put your trust in God even so much ye shall be delivered out of your trials, and your troubles, and your afflictions, and ye shall be lifted up at the last day.

If Shiblon will continue in this same vain for the rest of his life he will enjoy eternal life with our Father in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment