Friday, September 5, 2014

2 Nephi 33:1 - 33:5

2 Nephi 33:1 And now I, Nephi, cannot write all the things which were taught among my people; neither am I mighty in writing, like unto speaking; for when a man speaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children of men.

This is all that Nephi can write of the teaching that are had among the people of Nephi. He admits he is a better speaker and a writer. For when a man speaks with the Holy Ghost the message is carried deep into the heart. The impressions penetrate the soul with greater power than perhaps than in reading.

2 Nephi 33:2 But behold, there are many that harden their hearts against the Holy Spirit, that it hath no place in them; wherefore, they cast many things away which are written and esteem them as things of naught.

And it is obvious to Nephi that many of his people have hearts that can no longer be penetrated by the Holy Ghost. They refuse to listen and/or read the word of God anymore. They consider the doctrines of little worth to them in their everyday lives.

2 Nephi 33:3 But I, Nephi, have written what I have written, and I esteem it as of great worth, and especially unto my people. For I pray continually for them by day, and mine eyes water my pillow by night, because of them; and I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry.

But regardless of the condition of his people, he has written what he was asked to by the Lord. They will be of great value especially to his people since they are acquainted with him and his deeds in life. His love for his people is so great that he prays for them continually.

2 Nephi 33:4 And I know that the Lord God will consecrate my prayers for the gain of my people. And the words which I have written in weakness will be made strong unto them; for it persuadeth them to do good; it maketh known unto them of their fathers; and it speaketh of Jesus, and persuadeth them to believe in him, and to endure to the end, which is life eternal.

They are always in his prayers and eventually the Lord will answer his prayers on their behalf. In due time, what Nephi has written will have an affect on them to persuade them to live the gospel. Because his writings are from God and such words, if read with real intent, will always cause men to change their behavior. The reason for this is his writings will give them knowledge of their ancestors and the covenants made to them by the Lord and will tell them about Jesus and His mission and the importance of living the gospel faithfully unto the end of life.

2 Nephi 33:5 And it speaketh harshly against sin, according to the plainness of the truth; wherefore, no man will be angry at the words which I have written save he shall be of the spirit of the devil.

His words are hard against sinners. When you show peoples their sins, if they are wicked they become angry, but if they are trying to be righteous they will humble enough to accept the criticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment