Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Mosiah 5:1 - 5:5

Mosiah 5:1 And now, it came to pass that when king Benjamin had thus spoken to his people, he sent among them, desiring to know of his people if they believed the words which he had spoken unto them.

After King Benjamin had spoken to his people, he wanted to know if they believed what he had taught them was true and had a survey conducted.

Mosiah 5:2 And they all cried with one voice, saying: Yea, we believe all the words which thou hast spoken unto us; and also, we know of their surety and truth, because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually.

The response was very positive. In fact the people were so moved by the speech that even their dispositions had been changed. They had lost all desire to do evil which they attributed to the Spirit of the Lord coming upon them. The effect was so strong that they only wanted to be loving and kind to their fellow man.
[This reaction is the ideal it seems to me. It was like when I was jogging regularly. I did not have to force myself to go out every other day. I just found myself putting on my running shorts and shoes at the hour I wanted to go. It was like something beyond me was pushing me along. Again I did not have to talk myself or have someone remind me that I should be on the road doing my six miles run. I just had to go. That was all there was to it. If I did not go, I felt like I had been deprived of something of great value. It would be the same thing here with King Benjamin’s people. They did not have to now force themselves or have to be reminded to be good to their fellow man. They felt a motivation beyond their own ability to generate. This would be the ideal. That I do good without having to push myself to be honest or good to my neighbor. I would be so, just because I would not want to be otherwise.]

Mosiah 5:3 And we, ourselves, also, through the infinite goodness of God, and the manifestations of his Spirit, have great views of that which is to come; and were it expedient, we could prophesy of all things.

They all now testify that they have tasted the goodness of God and want to keep that feeling for the rest of their lives. The additional effect is that it has given them additional insights as to the future of themselves and their posterity. In fact, if it was necessary they could tell what they were.

Mosiah 5:4 And it is the faith which we have had on the things which our king has spoken unto us that has brought us to this great knowledge, whereby we do rejoice with such exceedingly great joy.

The effect on the whole of the people, they attributed to King Benjamin’s speech. The insights he revealed had changed their attitudes such that they are now filled with joy knowing the potential of themselves and their families.

Mosiah 5:5 And we are willing to enter into a covenant with our God to do his will, and to be obedient to his commandments in all things that he shall command us, all the remainder of our days, that we may not bring upon ourselves a never-ending torment, as has been spoken by the angel, that we may not drink out of the cup of the wrath of God.

The people are now willing to commit to do what the angel told King Benjamin. They are even willing to enter into a covenant to show their level of commitment. They want to do the will of the Lord for the rest of their lives so they do not end up in misery with guilty consciences.

No comments:

Post a Comment